Friday, March 25, 2011

Purpose and Function

I've started this blog in order to promote the discussion of organic chemistry and related topics.  Through this blog, I will cover several important chemical reactions, moving from more general topics to specific reactions and mechanisms.  Community response is encouraged.

Since this is my first post, I will discuss the basics of organic chemistry.  Organic chemistry is the study of the compounds of carbon and a few other elements, namely hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen.  Despite the few number of elements involved in organic chemistry, chemists have composed over 10 million compounds with just these four elements.  Not surprisingly, several of these compounds can be found in common household products, such as medicines, cosmetics, and lubricants, and toiletries.  Throughout the discussion of this blog, the aforementioned elements, carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, and nitrogen, will be referred to as C, H, O, and N, respectively.

29 comments:

  1. I never thought about it that way. Interesting Ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never understood this stuff. Following.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't understand organic chemistry before, may I can grasp on it from your posts, following :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. i remember some of this from biology class lol. looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. following so i can understand this stuff! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice information. I';; follow your blog closely -3-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe I will learn something, never was good at chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love chemistry!!! although i like physics better :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Organic chemistry is the second best type of chemistry. First is nuclear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chemistry is something i woud love to learn + Following

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm absolutely horrid at chem, hardly passed it in highschool. But i like variety, and i may actually learn something new. Following c:

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey I think i'll be checking this blog, i'm on chemistry rite now. Regards man! Following.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just had a flashback to my chemistry classes :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. like the topic/aesthetics of your blog

    followed :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such few elements - but man, what an amazing amount of things that can be made from them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never got to do chemistry in school this should be interesting following :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great blog, Cant wait for next post. +Following

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hated this in highschool but i find it odly intresting now
    followed

    ReplyDelete
  19. yea im busy with pre calculus right now lol

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow organic chemistry is complicated...

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely hated chemisty. Shit's so complicated, I barely passed that class with a C-.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Rofl as a chem eng major, I HATED orgo.

    ReplyDelete
  23. biology is such a fascinating thing

    ReplyDelete
  24. Looking forward to the next few posts.

    ReplyDelete
  25. nice man, not to big a fan of chem but it is intriguing

    ReplyDelete
  26. very interesting blog.. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I heard ochem is hard. Followed! alphabetalife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. I hate chemistry

    but I find this quite interesting...

    ReplyDelete